Sunday, November 14, 2010

Penance and Contrition

Aidan: "Mom, can I play World of War craft? There's a 10 day free trial!!!"
Me: "Umm, no. That game is not appropriate for your age."
Aidan: "What?!?!"
Me: "Sorry, no. That is meant for teens and adults."

Long bouts of crying, stomping, screaming, arguing, etc. ensue. An 8 year old temper tantrum is now in full effect!

15 minutes later a red eyed, sniffly nosed boy emerges. Still not in total agreement with my decision...I almost pulled out the "if you live under my roof, you'll follow my rules" line, but thought that might be best saved for the teenage years. He seemed ok with my reasoning that the game is highly addictive, violent, and not suitable for 8 year olds, even though there may be plenty of kids playing it at your school. The whole "if your friend jumps off a bridge, are you gonna follow?" came to mind, but again I refrained.

Off to CCD we went (Oh yes people, this whole scene went down right smack in the 8 o'clock hour) and when I pick him up I hear his teacher speaking about penance and contrition.
LIGHT BULB!
Aidan will pay me penance for the RIDICULOUS outburst he had and hopefully will be contrite about it too! In the words of Deacon Bill, "Sometimes, 3 Hail Marys just won't cut it."

"I will control my temper" 25 times.
Thank you very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment